Monday, November 6, 2017

AFFJ - Taking a break from blogging.


Hello Everyone. 

As you may have guessed, I've been missing in action the last few months. Although I enjoy blogging and interacting with everyone here in the DGI investing community, I came to the conclusion that the blog simply was not the side hustle I had hoped it would become. Yes, it brought me a little ad revenue from Google Adsense, but when compared to the time I was spending, it just simply did not make much sense to continue the efforts.  After all, time is money they say!

So for my new side hustle, I have been selling on Poshmark and eBay.  I've certainly have a lot to learn but can already see the huge potential.  In roughly 2 1/2 months, I'm already averaging at least twice the amount of money I had made blogging. And it took my over 3 years to achieve the monthly ad revenue I had received before I decided to take my second hiatus (I took my first hiatus last summer after 2 years of blogging).  As with everything, I understand that it takes a little bit of time, and some growing pains along the way, to become successful.  But unlike blogging, which took me at least 6 months before I saw a single penny, I have already begun to discover and experience some success from new side hustle .  I am currently spending about the same amount of time I had previously spent blogging and quite please with what I am getting in return for my time spent.   

As for investing, I still invest in dividend stocks and still do plan to use dividends to help supplement my retirement (in about 9 1/2 years and counting). In fact, I've found myself trading more actively now than I was when I blogging.  Last month, I logged a total of 14 transactions (6 sells, and 8 buys). And in September, I logged a total of 8 transactions (4 sells and 4 buys). I know many here in the DGI community rarely sell, but with the market at near record highs, I wanted to tak some profits of the table and use the money to purchase a few stocks that I felt were good value buys. To name just a few, I have recently purchased GIS, ENB, CAH, and GE.

As for Peer-to-Peer lending, I am slowly exiting P2P.  As payment come in from both my Lending Club and Prosper accounts, I am moving that money each month into my dividend stocks account whereby I plan to invest that money and continue to grow my dividend income stream. 

As for blogging, I still come on and browse around to see what everyone is doing once in awhile. I do miss interacting with everyone. But the bulk of my time is currently spent towards growing the inventory and monthly profits from my new side hustle.  I still plan to share updates on our frugal family's journey from time to time. So for now, it is not a good bye, but a see you when I see you.

Until next time, Happy Investing...Keep growing those dividends!!

AFFJ



18 comments:

  1. Glad that everything is working out well for you. You truly are miss. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Most definitely, will see you on here from time to time. AFFJ

      Delete
  2. Welcome back AFFJ. Good luck with your new side hustles. See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update AFFJ! Good to see everything is well and that you've even found a better side hustle. I understand your situation and would act likewise. In the end it's our shared goal: to reach sustainable financial independence as fast as possible.

    Cheers
    -DivRider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, trying to reach FI in my early fifties instead of mid-fifties, if possible. Appreciate you stopping by and leaving a few words here. See you around my friend. AFFJ

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the new hustles anf congrats on the sales and buys of these stocks. Hope to see ya around still! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PassiveCanadian, even though the market is relatively high, there are a few stocks that have been beaten down lately. Always trying to find that diamond in the rough. :)

      Best wishes on your own journey.

      AFFJ

      Delete
  5. Hope to read at least one update a month form you regarding your passive income earned. What's your Posh/eBay store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do my best Keith. I don't have an eBay store but my Posh closet is CNguyen92867. I'm still trying to build up the inventory and sales each and every week but feel free to browse around! :)

      Take care my friend. AFFJ

      Delete
  6. Welcome back AFFJ and good luck with the new side hustle. Also hoping to see updates from you from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dividend Portfolio. I will try to stop by here and there. Best wishes on your personal journey as well. AFFJ

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you won't be blogging as much, but I will certainly look forward to your occasional updates, and seeing the progress within your dividend portfolio. Congratulations on finding a more rewarding endeavor for your time and energy. Wishing you luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Engineering Dividends. I do miss blogging and interacting and wished it had better returns for my time spent. I will still do my best to stop by from time to time when time permits. See you around. AFFJ

      Delete
  8. Have to do what is right for you at the end of the day. Glad to see the new side hustle is working out well. Looking forward to seeing any updates on it. Best of luck and keep the investing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the words of support. The blog was our family's documentation and accountability so we certainly plan to continue with updates from time to time. Just not certain how often they will be. :)

      AFFJ

      Delete