Saturday, April 2, 2016

Fun Goals (Update) - Easter Weekend Adventures

I know I'm a little late with this post but I truly hope that everyone had a great Easter weekend.  I can tell you that our family sure did!  First, since I work a 9-80 schedule and have every other Friday off, started off my holiday weekend with a solo hike up Mt. Rubidoux in Riverside, CA. Saturday was a continuation of the fun with a trail run with a few buddies around the Claremont Loop in Claremont, CA.  On Easter Sunday, we all went to a sunrise service and then decided to do a family hike at El Dorado Nature Center in Long Beach, CA. In all, I logged in a total of 11 miles this past weekend and I'm now up to hike no. 15! 


MT. RUBIDOUX
Since last Friday was Good Friday, I decided to hike up Mt. Rubidoux becuase of the iconic cross at the top (approximately 805 feet from the base)! It was such a scenic hike that, unlike most hikes that I have come across, was entirely paved from start to finished.  It was very family, pet, and stroller friendly. It would consider Mt. Rubidoux a beginners hike as it was just under 3 miles. Enjoy the photos!
Sign at the Entrance to the hike
Freedom bridge and tower
View of the cross from a distance
Cross with rock stairs leading up to the base
Close up of cross and gorgeous backdrop
View of the city and mountainside from the top


CLAREMONT LOOP
On Saturday, I ran a 5.5 mile loop in Claremont. Because of the distance and incline (approximately 1,300 foot climb from the base).  I'm actually training for a 10K trail run later this month so this was a nice test to gauge where I am at with my training thus far.  I did not run the entire way up but ran 99% of the way down. I finished the 5.5 mile loop in 1 hour and 10 minutes.  I'm hoping to be close to an hour for my upcoming 10K so have a bit more training to do. Enjoy the photos!
Probably the only tree canopy on the entire trail
Approximately 1/3 of the way up
Approximately 2/3 of the way up
At the top


EL DORADO NATURE CENTER
Then on Sunday, after going to sunrise service at our church, the entire family went on a really nice trail we found in Long Beach. It is safe to say that my son can now consistently handle 2+ mile hikes. On Sunday, we did a paved 1/4 mile hike as well as a 2 mile unpaved loop. Slowly but surely, we plan to increase the miles and elevation so that we can one day join me on the bigger hikes.  Took lots of pictures so enjoy the photos! 
Nice bridge near the entrance to the Nature Center
Just in case you weren't sure
Nice tree canopy that hung over part of the trail
One of several bridges throughout the trail
The wife and kids
Nice bridge/water/shadow photo
Our state flower in bloom
More flowers on the trail


After completing 3 hikes this past weekend, I just completed my 13th, 14th, and 15th hike.  With 3/4 of the year left, I am just 11 hikes away from completing my 2016 fun goal of 26 hikes!! 

Thanks for following along on your journey. Once again, I hope everyone is enjoying the added personal touch to our blog. :)

Best wishes, AFFJ

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your hikes guys. I'm pretty darn sure I hiked that El Dorado trail in 2008. Haha, hadn't thought about that one in a while. Thanks for the flashback :) Have a great weekend

    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful; sounds like a great way to spend a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. It looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete