Saturday, March 15, 2014

DAY 1: A Frugal Family's Journey Towards FI

DAY 1 - March 15, 2014

Join our family in our journey towards Financial Independence (FI).


 
Background
I'm 41 years old...by day, I am a local government employee; by night, I am an aspiring blogger. My wife is 31 years old and is currently a stay at home mom. We have two kids: our daughter is 4 (turns 5 in August) and our son  is 1 (turns 2 in April). Although it is definitely nice to have my wife home with the kids during this stage in their lives, it does come with sacrifices. Our plan is for her to eventually ease back into the workforce (possibly later this year). But until then, progress towards FI will be limited by my income. 

Although this is the first blog post, I should clarify that my wife and I have lived frugally since we first married 7 1/2 years ago. In fact, 7 months after we got married, we moved back in with my in-laws just to save money. So to be fair, our journey truly began 7 1/2 years ago. Through our frugality, some luck, and the blessings of great family support, I must admit that we already have a great start towards FI. I will provide more clarity and detail on these first 7 1/2 years in upcoming posts.

Please subscribe to our blog and stay tuned!

Primary Goal
Although we do have yearly goals to help keep us on track, our primary goal is to become Financially Independent in 14 years or less. To clarify, we hope to accumulate enough wealth to simply live off our retirement, savings, and investments. Our motive for FI, as probably true for everyone chasing the same dream, is to have ultimate freedom and flexibility to live the life you desire.

Whether we ultimately succeed or not, this blog will be our outlet to document our goals, strategies and progress along the way. If nothing more, this blog will help provide us with that extra incentive to succeed. Meanwhile, it should make us more accountable throughout our journey. For our readers, we hope our blog posts will provide you with some insight into what has or hasn't worked and maybe even motivate you throughout your own journey towards FI.
 

We would be honored if you join us for the ride!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you and your family. I myself just started a blog to document our family's journey towards financial freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. It's been just a little under 6-months for our blog and can honestly say it's been a great ride thus far.

      I've met and learned a lot from fellow bloggers. My advice to you is to be active, but above all, be real...everything else will fall into place.

      Best wishing with you blog and personal finance journey! AFFJ

      Delete